Save the date!
The 5th Annual Day in the Dirt is April 29.
Click here for info on business sponsorship and team sign-ups.
Garden site and volunteer sign-ups coming soon!
2016 Dirty Weekend:
The 2016 Dirty Weekend was a tremendous success with more than 280 volunteers transforming 16 community and school garden sites. Big thanks to all the event partners, sponsors, garden groups, and volunteers! Click here for stories and photos from this awesome celebration of soils, spring, and community spirit!
Join us for a whole weekend of dirty fun!
Friday, April 29 at Skinny Pancake in Burlington
Shake off winter with a DJ dance party and karaoke contest. Tasty food, drinks, prizes, photo booth, and more! $20 includes a Dirty Mayor from Citizen Cider and appetizers. Add $5 to enter the karaoke contest with celebrity judges Dennis Lemoine, Sharon Meyer, and Charlie Nardozzi!
Limited sponsorship opportunities still available. Click here for details.
The 4th annual Day in the Dirt! includes teams of volunteers working at community and school garden sites all over the city, a delicious picnic, and plenty of fun and prizes. Day in the Dirt! is made possible thanks to more than 280 volunteers, Gardener’s Supply, Burlington Parks Recreation & Waterfront, UVM’s Department of Community Development & Applied Economics, Green Mountain Compost, the Intervale Center, and a host of local businesses. YOU can be part of this fun community event, too!
- Volunteer sign-up now open! Join a site before April 20 to get a T-shirt.
Join the Facebook event page for updates.
- We have a few business team spots left. For business volunteer team and sponsorship opportunities, contact Jess Hyman or click here for more info.
- This year’s garden work sites: Baird School Garden, Champlain Elementary School Fresh Garden, Community Teaching Garden at Ethan Allen Homestead, Community Teaching Garden at Tommy Thompson Community Garden, Family Room Garden at Ethan Allen Homestead Fanny Allen Garden at UVM Medical Center, Harbor Place in Shelburne, Homeward Bound Collective, Indigenous Seed Garden at the Intervale Center, JJ Flynn Elementary School, Lakeview South Community Garden, North Avenue Coop, Riverside Neighborhood Garden, The Hunt Garden, and UVM Campus Children’s School.
- HOMEGROWN HERO site sponsors: University of Vermont Medical Center, City Market, ArtsRiot
- COMMUNITY CULTIVATOR site sponsors: Burton Snowboards, Dealer.com, Red Wagon Plants, Redstone, Seventh Generation, UVM Rubenstein School
- SPRING TILLER site and event sponsors: Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shop, Bibens Ace Hardware, Urban Moonshine, Vermont Edible Landscapes, UVM Living Well
- PICNIC LUNCH SPONSORS: American Flatbread Burlington Hearth, ArtsRiot, Boloco, Rhino Foods, Farrell Distributing
- RAFFLE PRIZES FROM: Bee’s Wraps, Bike Recycle Vermont, Cabot Cheese, Keurig Green Mountain, King Arthur Flour, Lake Champlain Chocolates, Nunyuns Bakery & Cafe, Old Spokes Home, Sangha Studio, Seventh Generation, Solid Threads, Sports & Fitness Edge, Woodchuck Cider, Workman/Storey Publishing.
Sunday, May 1 at Green Mountain Compost in Williston
Finish off your very first #DirtyWeekendVT by celebrating spring and wicked good soils at the 3rd annual CompostFest! Your kids will have a blast with our giant sand piles, big trucks, face painting, ice cream sundaes, and a bouncy castle! Adults can brush up on their gardening skills with workshops from local experts like Charlie Nardozzi, grab a snack from a food truck, and take advantage of our big CompostFest sale! It’s a fun-filled day for families, friends, and compost-lovers of all shapes and sizes. More info.
See photos and details from past years’ Day in the Dirt:
And check out this amazing time-lapse video from the 2015 Archibald Neighborhood Garden re-build by Meghan O’Rourke:
- WHAT: Teams of business-sponsored teams and individual garden superheroes work on school and community garden projects around the city to give the gardens a spring boost.
- WHEN: Teams met at garden sites at 9am, worked on projects from 9:30am-noon, then gathered at the Intervale Center for a garden celebration, lunch and prizes.
- WHERE: (Click here for a map of 2015 sites): Champlain School Garden and Champlain Community Garden in the South End; Archibald Neighborhood Garden, Sara Holbrook Community Center, and Riverside Neighborhood Garden in the Old North End; Hunt Middle School Garden and Homeward Bound Collective in the New North End; Abenaki Heritage Garden at the Intervale; VNA Family Room Garden at Ethan Allen Homestead; and the Fanny Allen Garden in Colchester.
- EXTRAS: Free T-shirts, garden celebration, lunch, and prizes from local businesses and restaurants.