Volunteering with VCGN is an excellent way to get involved with local community and school gardens, build skills, and meet new people. We offer volunteer opportunities with our garden projects and maintenance, outreach, office tasks and community events. All opportunities are eligible for City Market member worker hours. Scroll down for garden-related volunteer opportunities with other organizations.
To sign up as a VCGN volunteer, please fill in the Volunteer Application. To learn more about VCGN’s volunteer policies, check out the Volunteer Handbook. If you have any questions, or would like a printed version of the application, contact us at (802) 861-4769 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A HUGE Thank-You to Our Volunteers!
We believe in the power of people growing food (and volunteering) together
to strengthen food security and build community!
2014 was a very exciting year for VCGN including strengthening the statewide network, coordinating 2 successful Community Teaching Garden sites, 7 Gardens for Learning sites, and 13 Grow It! Garden Organizer Trainings, as well as providing support for 9 Green Thumbs At Work employee gardens. In addition, we were a part of more than 20 community events and projects – sharing our message, helping children and adults experience the magic of starting seeds, growing, preparing and sharing good food, helping build new gardens, and enhancing existing ones.
We owe much of our success to our 221 active volunteers, who contributed 1,322 hours this year! We are also grateful to be a City Market Community Outreach Partner, with its member worker program, which sent many volunteers our way.
Here’s a sampling of this year’s volunteer supported events and activities:
- An Evening of Artful Dining and Artful Gardening at Gardener’s Supply
- 4th Annual Burlington Seed Swap and Potluck
- Atlantic Crossing benefit concert
- Vermont Home & Garden Show
- Day in the Dirt!
- Burlap Bag Sale at ONE Plant Sale
- CSWD Compost Jam
- CVOEO Garden Day
- Sweet Potato sale at Red Wagon Plants
- EAT x NE
- Garden Harvest Party at Winooski Valley Park District’s Ethan Allen Homestead
- City Market’s Harvest Celebration
- Halloween at the Homestead
In the office:
- Keeping our online calendar up-to-date, various data entry and organizing projects
- Seeds For Gardens packing and mailing
- Fundraising Appeal mailing & data entry
- Postering for events
In the gardens:
- Garden Building Day at Robin’s Nest Day Care
- 12-22 North Street garden maintenance and clean ups
- Ethan Allen Residence raised beds construction
- Community Teaching Gardens maintenance and clean-ups
In the Office…..
We often have needs for help around the office, assisting with data entry, flyering around town, helping with mailings, and lots of other fun projects. If you’d like to be put on our on-call list, get in touch.
Indoor Plant Specialist
Location: 12 North Street
# People Needed: 1-2
Time: variable depending on level of involvement
Description: This is a perfect opportunity for someone who loves indoor plants and doesn’t have enough room at home to do all you want to do with them. VCGN is in charge of sprucing up the lobby and conference room of our building with plants. This job includes the opportunity to suggest and implement design ideas and plants for the space, including indoor edibles, vertical gardening, and more. Volunteer with a friend and share the creativity and the commitment! This is an ideal project for someone looking for regular City Market member worker hours.
Skills Needed: Indoor plant expertise and enthusiasm, ability to commit to a weekly plant maintenance schedule, able to work independently.
Contact: Jess, email@example.com, 861-4769