Join community and school garden leaders from around your region for this unique training series. Learn strategies to boost your garden programs, share stories and ideas, and celebrate this growing movement! Workshops take place around the state in the spring and fall each year, and are presented by VCGN in partnership with local garden partners and regional garden expert, Charlie Nardozzi.
Spring workshops at locations across Vermont:
All workshops take place 4:00-7:00pm and include a light meal.
- Central West Vermont (Rutland/Addison): Vermont Farmers Food Center, Rutland – March 9
- Central Vermont: Montpelier High School, Montpelier – March 16
- Northeast Kingdom: Lyndon Institute, Lyndon Center – March 21
- Southern Vermont: The Village School of North Bennington, North Bennington – March 23
- Northwest Vermont: Bishop Booth Conference Center at Rock Point, Burlington – March 30
- Upper Valley: Center for Transformational Practice, White River Junction – Rescheduled – New date: April 18
2017 Grow It! workshops are made possible with generous support from The Bay and Paul Foundations.
The cost for each workshop is $35. Sliding scale option available upon request. Click here for online registration for the spring workshops.
What to expect at this Spring Grow It! workshop:
- Using the theme “Growing Community” we will address the following questions:
- How can your community-based garden strengthen community?
- What makes your garden more than just a space to grow food?
- Where are the opportunities for community collaboration in these common spaces?
- VCGN staff and partners will offer successful examples, promising practices and helpful tools from the field.
- Participants will have the opportunity to share ideas, brainstorm and problem-solve in large and small groups through engaging activities. This is a great opportunity for community or school garden teams to spend some dedicated time planning together, as well as a unique chance to network with a variety of garden groups from the area.
- Participants will gather tools and resources to bring back to their garden efforts, as well as grow a network of support among fellow garden leaders in their area.
Grow It! Participant Testimonials:
“I’ve participated in multiple Grow It! workshops and I left each one with a toolkit for communication and networking. The peer-to-peer exchange and hands on engagement are key to my positive experience. Not only do I glean valuable growing tips and organizational strategies, but I also walk away with stories to share and ideas that translate to other areas of my job (and life!) beyond the garden.”
~ Chris Jacobson, Upper Valley Food Co-op, White River Junction
“The meeting was informative, inspiring and educational all in one. There was a great sense of belonging to something greater than our little gardens.”
~Sandra Magsamen, Hiland Hall Gardens, North Bennington
“The workshop was positive and enriching, and gave people from a variety of garden projects in the area another chance to network, share successes and challenges, and strengthen this movement for greater food security and more community-based gardens in Vermont.”
~Grow It! workshop participant, Barre
Click here for the 2016 Grow It! report.
Past & Future Grow It! Topics:
Goal-setting and assessment, participation and engagement, outreach planning, problem-solving strategies, resiliency, community compost management, season extension in community-based gardens. Workshop topics can be adapted to garden groups at any stage of development.
Questions? Contact us at (802) 861-4769 or email Libby at firstname.lastname@example.org.